Free Concerts at the St. Louis Cathedral
Every year in December, the St. Louis Cathedral local choirs and New Orleans artists herald the season with concerts of classical music, holiday carols, jazz music and classical ensembles in one of the country's most historic churches.
What to Expect
The concerts range from some of New Orleans' best brass bands, to some of the city's best choirs. But, you may also hear some other local musicians like Ellis Marsallis, John Boutte or Irvin Mayfield.
The concerts are usually held about 6 p.m. and last about one hour, although if you're in town any day in December check the Cathedral to see what's happening that day. You never know what musician will come to the Cathedral to sing. One exception to the 6 pm start is the concert on December 18th, that one starts a five and takes place in Jackson Square.
The 2011 Concert Schedule
- Thursday, December 1 -- Ellis Marsalis
- Sunday, December 4 --Tom McDermott and Connie Jones
- Monday, December 5 -- Friendly Travelers
- Tuesday, December 6 -- Ronnie Kole
- Sunday, December 11 -- Rachel Van Voorhies
- Monday, December 12 -- Philip Manuel & the Shades of Praise
- Tuesday, December 13 -- The Faubourg Quartet
- Wednesday, December 14 -- The Preservation Hall Allstars Present a Creole Christmas
- Sunday, December 18 -- St. Louis Basilica annual Christmas Concert ( at 5 p.m.)
- Monday December 19 -- Dan Vappie
- Tuesday, December 20 -- Irvan Mayfield
- Wednesday, December 21 -- St. Peter Claver Gospel Choir