Take a Free Ferry Ride
A fun thing to do in New Orleans that's free is to take the Mississippi River ferry from the Canal Street dock (right by the Aquarium of the Americas) and ride across to Algiers. It's a great ride and if you go over on summer evenings, you can catch free concerts on Wednedays.
Where and When
The Wednesday concerts start on July 1st and end on August 12th. There happen on Algiers Point, right at or near the ferry landing from 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Free Concert Schedule
The Schedule for 2009 is:
- 7/1 Tribute to Memphis Minnie with Big Daddy O, Amanda Walker & Olga at Dry Dock Cafe and Vine & Dine, 133 Delaronde
- 7/8 John "Papa" Gros and Day's End at Rosetree Glass Studio, 446 Vallette
- 7/15 Marc Stone & Westbank Mike at Crown & Anchor Pub, 200 Pelican
- 7/22 Otra at Aunt Leni's Cafe, 323 Verret
- 7/29 Jeff & Vida at Gulf Pizza, 446 Pelican
- 8/5 Amanda Shaw Duo at Louie's Corner Bar, 500 Elmira
- 8/12 Betty Harris & All-Soul Band at Old Point Bar, 545 Patterson
In Spring there are free concerts in Lafayette Square every Wednesday. These are outside in the park, so bring a blanket or folding chair. There's lots of food, drink and local crafts to buy also.