December is a wonderful time of the year no matter where you are. In New Orleans where the weather is mild, and every day is a festival of life and love and family and friends, December is very special. Christmas New Orleans Style includes tours of beautifully decorated mansions in the Garden District and historic homes and gardens in the French Quarter. There are also many concerts and caroling events, fun for the kids and the traditional Creole Reveillon Dinners. If you can plan a trip to New Orleans in December, you'll love it!
- Special PaPa Noel hotel deals.
- Meriment on Magazine Street means unique shopping, refreshments and fun on Magazine Street. on the first Saturday.
- St. Louis Cathedral Free Concert Series - Every year local artist and choirs bring a series of free concerts to the St. Louis Cathedral in the French Quarter. The concerts are free and start at 6 p.m. They are usually about one hour.
- Canal Street Home for the Holiday events all month.
- Christmas Tours of Homes and Gardens Holiday Home and Garden Tours.
- Creole Reveillon Dinners are held at restaurants all around town in December.
- Celebration in the OaksNew Orleans premier lighting display in beautiful City Park.
- Great eventes for kids at the Louisiana Children's Museum.
- Singing Santa and the Riverwalk Jazz Band from November 27th through December 24 at the Riverwalk Marketplace at Poydras Street and the River.
- Miracle on Fulton Street
- Christmas Teas
- Tea party for dolls at the Beauregard-Keyes House.
- Every Wednesday - Midday Merriment on Canal Street.
- December December 1 - 23 Thur-Sat 7:30pm & Sun 3pm "The Pecan Cracker", a Louisiana version of the Nut Cracker that's fun for the whole family. at Southern Rep
- December 3 - Home for the holidays kickoff event on Canal Street. It starts with a Parade at 1pm on Canal Street, then goes to the Baronne Street entrance of the Roosevelt Hotel for a block party. This is a good day to shop because the downtown merchants will have special promotions.
- All month there are special events for kids at the Louisiana Children's Museum. Storytelling, breakfast and a cookie to decorate near the Cajun Cottage exhibit.
- There are special events including a parade, chef cooking demonstrations, and more in December at the French Market.
- December 8 - The Treme Gumbo Festival 11am to 5:30 pm
- December 18 - Chiestmas Caroling in Jackson Square.
- 10th and 11th - Garden District Holiday Home Tour.
- 18th - Holiday Home Tour in the French Quarter from 2 to 4pm $20 Tickets will be available at Creole Delicacies, 533 St. Ann St. at Jackson Square. After the tour stay for caroling in Jackson Square, Gates open at 6pm candles and song sheets are provided.
- 17th The New Orleans Bowl.
- 20 - 24th Cirque Dreams Holidaze at the Mahalia Jackson Theater
- Dec 21 Hornets vs. Memphis Grizzlies in the New Orleans Arena
- 24th - Christmas Eve bonfire adventure on the Mississippi River, Christmas Eve on the Steamboat Natchez, Christmas Eve Midnight Mass at St. Louis Cathedral.
- 25th - Christmas Day Mass at St. Louis Cathedral
- 26th Monday night football - Saints vs. Atlanta Falcons 07:30 PM (cst) in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome
- Monday, December 26th and Tuesday, December 27th, 2009 10:00 am to 12:30 pm, each day Creole Christmas House Tour.
- Dec 28 Hornets vs. Boston Celtics in the New Orleans Arena
- Dec. 29th Great Russian Nutcracker (7:30PM) at the Mahalia Jackson Theater
- Dec 30 Hornets vs. Phoenix Suns in the New Orleans Arene
- 31st New Year's Eve